The role of a childcare worker is to take care of the child when his parents are away. It is very popular in urban areas as most parents are working.
These people get permission through the childcare centers. The main purpose of childcare workers in a child’s development is the temporary absence of parents. They are in charge of performing all the activities which the parents do.
These include feeding, changing diapers of infants, grooming, dressing, giving medicines, helping with studies, etc. Keeping the kids active, playing games with them, disciplining them at times when they misbehave are also a part of their job.
Workers at early earning centers are a little more disciplined and have a more structured routine for children. The ultimate goal of childcare workers is offering help in the process of child development.
Educational Qualification Of A Childcare Worker
It depends a lot on the geographical location of your residency. Different states have different set of rules and criteria for hiring a childcare worker. In general, a high school diploma in any field of education is good to start with.
Though employers look for candidates with an associate degree in child education, candidates with similar degrees can also apply for the job. In the year 2013, a rule was passed that candidates must enroll for the associate degree course to apply for the job.
In some parts of the world, to be eligible for the job, you need to have a certification like CDA or Child Development Associate and CCP or Child Care Professional. A first aid training certificate and a CPR course certification can act as add on to your resume.
There are some basic skills required to be a childcare worker. Here is a brief description of the skills which are considered to be necessary:
- Communication – The job of a childcare worker is to spend time with the kid. You need to communicate with kids to create a bond of friendship with them. You need to tell them all kinds of stories, answer their question, give them reasons to believe in certain things, etc.
- Patience – This is a very important factor for every childcare worker. Most children are hyperactive, and they keep on doing stuff. They also get bored of something very easily. You have to be very patient and polite when dealing with kids.
- Instructions – Everything and anything can turn out to be a fun game for kids. The childcare worker must explain and instruct kids properly so that they maintain discipline.
- Stamina – Kids are mostly hyperactive, which gives them loads of energy. If you want to be a childcare worker, then you need to invest a similar amount of energy with them. It’s not only about to carry them to the park, feeding them, changing the diaper, and putting them to sleep.
- The work schedule is either full time or part-time
- A childcare worker needs to work a minimum of 8 to 12 hours a day
- Part-time shifts range from 3 hours to 6 hours
- Family childcare workers work according to the requirements of parents
- Childcare workers may also need to work overnight
- They also work on a weekly schedule which is 40 hours a week
Being a childcare worker is not easy. Hence, childcare workers need proper training before they apply for the post.